11 Ways To Be A Winning Negotiator!
Taking a client who breached a contract to court, took me to a whole new level of understanding how to win when negotiating. Here’s 11 things I learned that may help you.
- Practice deep preparation. Prepare way more than you think necessary.
- Don’t rely or depend on your fast thinking, smooth talking verbal skills.
- Actually write your answers to both expected and unanticipated questions.
- Define what support material you need, then produce more than needed.
- Define the top 3-4 points you need to make to make your case. Stick to them.
- Be brief. Be specific. Be concise. Stay on point.
- Don’t be abstract. The neocortex Croc brains of Judges or clients don’t like it.
- Be respectful. Not emotional. Remember its about winning, not about you.
- Control your frame or be controlled by the frames others set.
- Practice patience. Winning at negotiating requires it. Everyone has their own pace.
- Practice. Practice Practice. Focus. Focus. Focus.
The other day, I won way more than I thought I would by following the above 11 steps.
Truth be know, this simple advice comes from a lifetime friend and lawyer that rarely loses. (Thanks WS, you saved me!)